I learned a lot over the past year and a half since I started working with Adobe Flex/AIR, and I really want to give the talk that I wish someone had given me at Adobe MAX 2008. It would basically be a, “Here is what to look out for when you’re writing your first large Flex/AIR application, and here is a repository of source code to save yourself a few hundred hours of work”.
- Cross platform gotchas
- Localizing/Globalizing (how to cheaply include every currency and date format in the world)
- Adding license key protection
- Team workflow (source control and build system gotchas)
- Smooth badge-based deployment
- Adding crash reporting to your app (even in pre AIR 2.0 code)
- Quickly adding a help system to your app
- How to improve the built-in AIR auto-update mechanism
- Custom component gotchas
- Large scale QA/testing on a shoestring budget
- Elegantly adapting code to the single threaded environment
- Emulating type-safe containers
- Reducing compile times
It would be more of a “wide dive” instead of the “deep dive” talks that are all of the rage, but the source code supplement would hopefully fill in the gaps. Whether I am accepted or not, I’ll put this talk together for my local Austin Flex user group, and I’ll post the source code and materials here.